Hungary has the distinction of being one of very few nations to develop its own camouflage pattern during the Second World War. Introduced in 1938, the design was utilized for painting vehicles, artillery pieces, technical equipment and for individual shelter-half/poncho combinations. There is some speculation that the pattern itself was based on the Italian M1929 model. Camouflage continued to be used by Hungarian military personnel during the Second World War, during which the nation was a member of the Axis powers.
During the Communist period (1947-1989) substantial camouflage developments took place. Although wartime camouflage continued to be used and to influence the design of more contemporary patterns (even as late as the 1980s), still other designs based on leaf and jagged blotch shapes were introduced in the 1950s and continued to be worn well into the late 20th century.
A standardized camouflage uniform (influenced by an earlier pattern developed in 1949) was adopted for issue to the Hungarian Armed Forces in 1990. Now a member of NATO and the European Union, Hungary has also participated in peacekeeping operations in Afghanistan (OEF) and with the United Nations, for which desert camouflage has been adopted.